Make Your Home More Energy Saving and Have Lower Utility Bills!
Are your summertime electricity bills high? I mean really high? A friend of mine told me his electric bill is almost $500 a month during the summer. That is outrageous. There are many ways for us to make the best of our home. One of those ways is to make your home more energy saving and start seeing lower utility bills!
Staying cool in the Panhandle Summers is a must. So is saving money!
So to help us both, I wanted to get some professional tips on how to cut and lower our utility bills. I called HVAC expert Nick Zetta! He has cooled off Texans for over 20 years, and is now teaching others how to fix AC units at Vista College in Amarillo Tx.
Staying cool in the Panhandle Summers is a must. So is saving money. If there is anything we can do to help make that happen AND keep the cost down, I say lets do it. After speaking with Nick, he was kind enough to want to help you and I both stay nice and cozy in the heat! He gave me a couple of tips which I want to share with you!
5 WAYS TO SAVE MONEY & STAY COOL
1. Replace your old AC unit, if your air conditioner is more than 10 years old and you need to do some expensive repairs it might be a good time to go ahead and replace it with a new one. Older AC units can use much more electricity than more energy-efficient new ones.
2. Wash your condenser, according to Nick Zetta washing your condenser can cut the amount of energy it uses because the condenser dispenses the heat from in your home and if it is dirty it has to work harder to get the job done.
3. Ventilate your attic, using attic fans and soffit vents can cut the amount of trapped heat in your attic. Remember your attic needs to breath.
4. Window Shades, using window shades or blinds that have different colors using a light reflective shades in summer and a dark shade in the winter can help reduce the amount of heat coming into your home. Also installing new energy-efficient windows can block up to 80% of the heat from coming in.
5. Leave AC on, don’t turn off your ac while you go to work, it can take more energy to get your home cool than to maintain it at a comfortable level.
Here’s to lower utility bills, beautiful summer evenings, and making the best of our homes.